Institutional Public Engagement Program
As you probably already know, researchers are becoming increasingly aware of their responsibility to communicate more broadly, especially to the public.
Moreover, given the significant change in the way information is disseminated and accessed, people want more from researchers, academic institutions, and industry than ever before. As a result, the topic of science communication is a growing area of interest.
It is now widely accepted that broader science communication is a fundamental aspect of a scientist’s career. While many do recognise this, it can be a challenge to do it effectively. SciPod offers a professional communication and dissemination service to support and enhance science. We make science understandable, enjoyable, accessible, and open.
Institutional Public Engagement Program (IPEP)
SciPod’s IPEP will support you in profiling your researchers’ activities through an additional, original, cost-effective and expertly-produced outreach communication option. SciPod has an unrivalled team of scientific experts, writers, designers and voice artists to support and complement your communication department in communicating the work and impact of your researchers. We enable organisations, institutes, universities, funding bodies, NGOs and scholarly societies to share, disseminate and promote their scientific and societal endeavours through SciPod – to a broader and more diverse audience than traditional media and publication outlets can readily provide.
IPEP goals and objectives
We have worked with and spoken to many researchers who understand the value of science communication and what we offer – from personal, scientific and societal points of view. The first major barrier is the fact that there is a cost to engage in quality science communication, and there is often no clear budget for this, even if a public engagement mandate is included in the objectives of a research project. The second barrier is the time it takes to produce quality science communication material. So, not only do we tackle the goal of making science fun, accessible and available to anyone and everyone, but we have also developed a low-cost and expedited service that allows academics and departments to carry on with their important daily tasks whilst being able to deliver a high-impact outreach campaign. Our main focus is writing and developing the content in close collaboration with our clients and partners so that their remit and importance can be better communicated in a more contextualised way. We produce all material in a personalised format so that the focus is on the research and the researcher. By doing this, it allows the audience to connect and get to know the scientist and the science on a more intimate level.
Why partner with us?
With over 7000 new science papers being published each day, many are never read, let alone cited. Audiobooks can help cut through the noise of over-publishing, by communicating science and research in an accessible language for a broad audience.
- We can create extra visibility and impact for your institute
- We can create impact for your researchers
- We offer great value to communication budgets
- We provide 20 years of science communication experience
- We cater to institutes of all sizes
- We offer a bespoke and professional service to your institute
- We can work alongside current in-house communication initiatives
- 75% of people would choose to listen to an audiobook than read text 75% 75%
- 50% would choose to listen to an audio over watching a video 50% 50%
- 50% increase in worldwide audio listeners in 2020 vs 2019 50% 50%
- 12.5% of ALL people in the world now listen to an audio weekly 12.5% 12.5%
Merits of IPEP
- We deliver a non-automated, end-to-end, personalised production and dissemination service. There are no heavy time or work expectations on you or your researchers to produce each SciPod.
- We present each SciPod in an intimate manner so that the listener not only gets to understand the science, but also gets to know the researcher.
- We have the dedicated time and know-how to invest in communicating science for each individual research project and researcher.
- Most importantly, we have an experienced and professional team of writers, editors, voice artists and designers, who know the science communication ropes and can transform science into something palatable and engaging.
- We publish under a creative commons licence, which allows the listener and end user to freely listen, share and enjoy. We have already laid a solid foundation with our audience of interested listeners and professional contacts, along with a strong social media presence, to increase the impact of your communication efforts.
- We provide you with unlimited and unrestricted use of all material produced so that you can utilise it alongside your in-house communication efforts.
Benefits of IPEP
Institutions may find that our service offers a very cost-effective and supportive solution to their current communication channels. Some institutions’ academics may wish to or already regularly work with SciPod, but the approval process, financing and administration can be time consuming. Our program can support institutions in the following ways:
- To support the ease of production, SciPod will provide a dedicated submission channel for your institute. Any submission here would receive priority with a dedicated team.
- To simplify the payment processes, we can adjust our invoicing procedure to meet the needs of each institution. We are able to customise invoices as required, group them together, or issue them at a specific time. We can send invoices directly to individual researchers or issue invoices centrally.
- Your institute will be provided with a unique discount code to offer an agreed reduction rate on SciPod’s production fees.
- Your researchers will not need to seek prior approval to work with SciPod, as they will know that we are a trusted communication partner.
- Your institute will have to the option to approve all content before publishing.
- The institution can cancel your participation in the program at any time.
Metrics and impact
- All institutional participants receive an impact report for their SciPod. Not only does this provide visible metrics, but this can also be included in final grant reporting to show public engagement activities.
There are several ways we can support your communication efforts. Our overall goal is to provide an original, impactful, and highly complementary service to both you and your researchers.
Arrange a fixed budget for SciPod to produce and promote a required number of audiobooks for your institute. You can select certain researchers to highlight, or we can help with selection.
SciPod will work to your requirements and deliver marketing impact without the cost of employing a marketing department.
Offer SciPod to your researchers before and/or after publication as an outreach and research public engagement service. Provide your researchers with an exclusive discount code to use any time.
This will benefit all involved, and provides your researchers with a valuable service that adds value to any communciation effort.
Trusted by the research community
Simplified editoral process
Our unqiue 4 step editorial process allows us to work from distance whilst giving you full control with minimal time commitment
Interested in collaborating with SciPod?
Enter your details to arrange a consultation