Exploring How Mozambican Farmers Reinvent Crop-storage Practices – Dr Julia Bello-Bravo
Original Article Reference
This SciPod is a summary of the paper ‘Identifying and evaluating farmer deviations from steps recommended for hermetic postharvest storage of beans in northern Mozambique’, from the Journal of Stored Products Research. doi.org/10.1016/j.jspr.2020.101628
About this episode
International organisations have recently been trying to educate farmers in developing nations about optimal practices for growing and storing crops. While many farmers stick to these newly acquired practices, others eventually adapt them or slightly deviate from them. Researchers at Purdue University, Michigan State University, Iowa State University, and the Agricultural Research Institute of Mozambique recently carried out a study exploring how farmers have adapted an effective crop-storage practice in northern Mozambique.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
What does this mean?
Share: You can copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
Adapt: You can change, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially.
Credit: You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made.
‘Green Manure’: How Cover Crops Create Healthy Soils and Boost Crop Yields – Dr Lynn Brandenberger | Dr Joshua Massey
Increase the impact of your research
• Good science communication helps people make informed decisions and motivates them to take appropriate and affirmative action.
• Good science communication encourages everyday people to be scientifically literate so that they can analyse the integrity and legitimacy of information.
• Good science communication encourages people into STEM-related fields of study and employment.
• Good public science communication fosters a community around research that includes both members of the public, policymakers and scientists.
• In a recent survey, 75% of people suggested they would prefer to listen to an interesting story than read it.
Step 1 Upload your science paper
Step 2 SciPod script written
Step 3 Voice audio recorded
Step 4 SciPod published