From peer review to podcast
SciPod is an end-to-end production and dissemination service supporting researchers in communicating their work and reaching a much broader and diverse audience.
Each SciPod is based on a single research paper, and our team work to present the research in the most accessible, understandable and enjoyable way. Listeners with varying levels of expertise and knowledge will be able to understand the significance and potential impact of the research.
We have a simple 4 step production process, as follows:
Step 1 – Upload your paper on our online ordering system
Step 2 – SciPod script produced
Our writing and editing team will produce the first plain language summary script within 10-14 days. Our standard-length script is approximately 1200 words. Once produced, this is sent back to you for review and approval. We do not publish anything without your 100% approval.
Step 3 – We go to the recording studio
The script is passed to our professional voice artists who elegantly and clearly read your script and produce the first audio draft. The draft is then sent to you to listen and approve before the final stages of completion.
Step 4 – Your SciPod is published
We create an eye-catching cover design for your audiobook, and produce you a unique webpage within our audio library. We then disseminate to our direct audience and through our audio and social media channels on Twitter, Facebook, Soundcloud, iTunes and Spotify, to name a few.
It’s as simple as that. On average the process should take no longer than 1 hour of your time over a period of 2–4 weeks.
We publish all material in an open and barrier-free format under a creative commons licence. We have no pay walls or subscribe walls to view, download or share any of our material. We encourage all groups we work with to extend the impact of each SciPod by personally utilising it. For example, post it directly on your University’s website or social media page, or add a link to it in your CV as a summary of your recent work.
We want to do more than produce and publish for you. So, we have designed SciPod to give you a number of tangible benefits for future use.
You will receive:
- A 1200-word plain language summary article written by a professional science writing team
- Industry standard editing
- Professional voice narration
- Studio quality recording
- A dedicated audio library page for ease of access and sharing your SciPod
- A user-friendly, instant play, download and social media share interface
- Dissemination to our full audience of listeners
- Dissemination on all major audio networks
- Links to your original science paper to help boost interaction and citation
- Bespoke cover art for your SciPod
- MP3 file of your SciPod for personal use
- Text transcription of your SciPod which can be used as a standalone plain language summary
- SEO optimised